Skip to main content

Ten Spookiest X-Files Episodes



Halloween is approaching! This year, instead of going out, I'm most likely going to watch something scary on DVD. If you have the same plans, then I have a list for you. Last year I counted down ten of the spookiest (in my opinion) episodes of my favourite TV-show, The X-files. This year, I'm updating the list with a few new picks and I'm going to include promos instead of screen shots because, it's more fun (and professional).
 
Just a little clarification: I did NOT include Home, which is considered to be the scariest TV-episode of all times. Why not? Well, because I haven't actually seen it yet. I know I have to, because there will be a sequel in the upcoming revival, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there...



10. Humbug
s2, e20
 
Kicking off at number ten is the show's first comedy. A scary comedy. A freak circus is under attack by a mysterious killer. Freaks, monsters, mirror mazes and a cricket-eating Scully. What else do you need?



 
9. Our Town
s2, e24
 
This episode will get under your skin and have you question your faith in humanity. When a small town man goes missing, Scully and Mulder must try and find him. What they find is a town full secrets, and a chicken processing factory that may process more than just chicken.




8. The Post-Modern Prometheus
s5, e5

In this black-and-White Halloween special, local women are assaulted and impregnated by a Frankenstein-like monster. But, as we know, even monsters need love. A very memorable episode featuring Cher (actually, her impersonator), John O'Hurley (Elaine's boss from Seinfeld) and Chris Owens as the Great Mutato. Owens was a long-time friend of the show and he would come back to play both the young Cancerman and his son, special agent Spender,


 

7. Irresistible
s2, e13

This is the one of the few X-files where the bad guy is not an alien or a mutant. Nick Chinlund gives a very convincing performance as a serial killer who mutilates the bodies of his victims in a case that becomes too personal for Scully. 



6. Arcadia
 s6, e15
 
More creepy communities with dark secrets! In this episode, the agents go undercover as newlyweds in a gated community called Falls of Arcadia, to investigate the disappearance of a married couple. They soon find that the perfect neighbourhood is a little too obsessed with rules and regulations.




5. Bad Blood
s5, e12

The second and only good vampire episode. It's a classic "he said, she said" episode, where Mulder and Scully get to tell their own accounts of a murder investigation gone horribly wrong. Features vampires with fake fangs and a young Luke Wilson. It's also Gillian Anderson's favourite.
 
 


 

4. Chinga
s5, e10

A Chris Carter/Stephen King collaboration? Yes, it happened, and it was awesome. While Mulder is busy tossing pencils in the ceiling, Scully goes on vacation in Maine. It doesn't last long, though as the local police force begs her to investigate a case which involves possible witchcraft and dolls that just want to have fun.


 

3.  Folie á Deux
s5, e 19

A office worker is convinced that his boss is a monster that turns his employees into zombies. Problem is, he is the only one who can see it. He must be crazy. But if he is, how come Mulder starts seeing it too?
 

 
 
2. Field Trip
s6, e21

Not scary in the classical sense, but after watching this episode you won't go camping for a very long time. A married couple comes home from a field trip, but the next day their skeletons are found in the woods. The episode is full of surrealism and will make your head spin as you're trying to figure out just what the hell is happening.  


 

1. Roadrunners
s8, e4

My favourite post-Mulder episode. Scully is asked to help with a murder case, in which the victim has been clubbed to death in the middle of a desert. Her investigation leads her to a small town, where people are a more than determined to make her stay a little longer. Will her new partner, agent Doggett make it in time to help her?
 



What's your pick for the scariest X-file? What are you watching this Halloween? Maybe I'll just watch Home and get it over with...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Reading

Schoolz out for the summer! For the next two months, I won't have to learn anything new about odontology, medicine, or the physical properties of dental cements. Also, I can finally read for fun again . I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I have fallen out of love with reading, and at that time it really did feel that way. Now, I feel like I'm getting my bookworm mojo back, and I'm already working on my next book review. I have also assembled a short and preliminary list of books I want to read this summer. Some of them are new to me, but there are a few re-reads as well.  I bought my copy of The House of Binding Thorns on a whim because I loved the cover. Also, I almost never read anything by French authors, and I'd like to change that. Endymion is, of course, the third book in the Hyperion Cantos series. The first two books completely blew me away. Honestly, not a day goes by that I don't think about those stories.  The two re-r

Book Review: The Silent Steppe: The Memoir of a Kazakh Nomad Under Stalin

Title: The Silent Steppe: The Memoir of a Kazakh Nomad Under Stalin Author: Mukhamet Shayakhmetov Translated by: Jan Butler Year of publishing: 2007 Publisher: The Overlook Press Source: Purchased Genre: historical nonfiction This is a first-hand account of the genocide of the Kazakh nomads in the 1920s and 30s. Nominally Muslim, the Kazakhs and their culture owed as much to shamanism and paganism as they did to Islam. Their ancient traditions and economy depended on the breeding and herding of stock across the vast steppes of central Asia, and their independent, nomadic way of life was anathema to the Soviets. Seven-year-old Shayakhmetov and his mother and sisters were left to fend for themselves after his father was branded a "kulak" (well-off peasant and thus class enemy), stripped of his possessions, and sent to a prison camp where he died. In the following years the family travelled thousands of miles across Kazakhstan by foot, surviving on the charity of rel

Big Site News (I'm Moving!)

What's up guys! It's been over a week since I got back from Montreal and I can't believe it's all over now. But life goes on, and I sure have a lot of stuff to cross off my list before the end of summer. First, there's Campnanowrimo, which I do every July (and April). I took this opportunity to finish the first draft of my new novel. I'm also moving! No, I don't mean like to a new city (or Canada). I'm moving this blog to Wordpress. I've been wanting and planning to switch to Wordpress for a long time, and now finally seems like the right time. Nothing will change. I will be posting book reviews, discussions, and an occasional Top Ten- list. But I will be doing it on a platform that will allow me to be more creative, and to grow as a writer. I want this to eventually become an author website, with that author being... well, me. The official date for the move will be announced as soon as I'll finish building my Wordpress site and transport