Skip to main content

July Wrap-up and a New Series

And another month has just flown by. July is now officially over, so let's review this month, shall we?

Book Reviews 

Last month, I reviewed a total of four books, with an average rating of 4,5 stars.

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons - 5 stars

Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone - 3 stars

The X-Files: Cold Cases by Joe Harris - 5 stars

Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine - 5 stars

All I can say is that it has been a good month for reading.


Movies

I also went to see two new movies:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which was a blast. This movie was everything I wanted in a summer blockbuster. Plus, I'm positive that Kurt Russel will finally get people to stop saying that Marvel doesn't have good villains.


I apologise for the fangirl moment.




War for the Planet of the Apes, which was good. I liked it. It was trying too hard to be this epic drama, but it was the perfect conclusion to the new POTA series, and I had a lot of fun counting the easter eggs and callbacks to the original movie.





What to look forward to 

Well, I'm still listening to Stephen King's It. Four hours done, forty more to go! Expect a review in a month or so.

I also got an ARC of Andy Weir's new book, Artemis on Netgalley, and I'm reading it right now. It's a lot of fun, but more on that later.

And, finally, I'm starting my new series of book reviews, titled Before They Were Blockbusters, where I'll be reviewing books that were adapted into popular movies. First on the list is The Prestige by Christopher Priest.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Reading

Schoolz out for the summer! For the next two months, I won't have to learn anything new about odontology, medicine, or the physical properties of dental cements. Also, I can finally read for fun again . I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I have fallen out of love with reading, and at that time it really did feel that way. Now, I feel like I'm getting my bookworm mojo back, and I'm already working on my next book review. I have also assembled a short and preliminary list of books I want to read this summer. Some of them are new to me, but there are a few re-reads as well.  I bought my copy of The House of Binding Thorns on a whim because I loved the cover. Also, I almost never read anything by French authors, and I'd like to change that. Endymion is, of course, the third book in the Hyperion Cantos series. The first two books completely blew me away. Honestly, not a day goes by that I don't think about those stories.  The two re-r

Book Review: The Silent Steppe: The Memoir of a Kazakh Nomad Under Stalin

Title: The Silent Steppe: The Memoir of a Kazakh Nomad Under Stalin Author: Mukhamet Shayakhmetov Translated by: Jan Butler Year of publishing: 2007 Publisher: The Overlook Press Source: Purchased Genre: historical nonfiction This is a first-hand account of the genocide of the Kazakh nomads in the 1920s and 30s. Nominally Muslim, the Kazakhs and their culture owed as much to shamanism and paganism as they did to Islam. Their ancient traditions and economy depended on the breeding and herding of stock across the vast steppes of central Asia, and their independent, nomadic way of life was anathema to the Soviets. Seven-year-old Shayakhmetov and his mother and sisters were left to fend for themselves after his father was branded a "kulak" (well-off peasant and thus class enemy), stripped of his possessions, and sent to a prison camp where he died. In the following years the family travelled thousands of miles across Kazakhstan by foot, surviving on the charity of rel

Big Site News (I'm Moving!)

What's up guys! It's been over a week since I got back from Montreal and I can't believe it's all over now. But life goes on, and I sure have a lot of stuff to cross off my list before the end of summer. First, there's Campnanowrimo, which I do every July (and April). I took this opportunity to finish the first draft of my new novel. I'm also moving! No, I don't mean like to a new city (or Canada). I'm moving this blog to Wordpress. I've been wanting and planning to switch to Wordpress for a long time, and now finally seems like the right time. Nothing will change. I will be posting book reviews, discussions, and an occasional Top Ten- list. But I will be doing it on a platform that will allow me to be more creative, and to grow as a writer. I want this to eventually become an author website, with that author being... well, me. The official date for the move will be announced as soon as I'll finish building my Wordpress site and transport